Our client was looking to connect seasoned professionals who can offer domain-specific advice and practical guidance and people who seek a career change or career advice. Not only the app should bring value to different kinds of users, but to a business owner as well.
We developed the application WorkQ mentors for iOS and Android platforms. With the help of this app, candidates can set up a video or audio conversation with mentors. The calls between mentors and candidates are billable.
We decided to create a serverless app and chose React Native for a user interface and Firebase for file storage. The designs were provided by the client. The benefits of using the serverless approach are the following:
- no time spent on the virtual environment spinning up and the database set up
- allocated time can be spent on the UX instead
- easy deployment process and quick releases since a developer doesn’t have to push code to the server
- overall this approach turns out to be cheaper because it requires less billable hours
Features and functionality:
- Using Firebase as the database that helps make an app a real-time one (reactive)
- Authentification via email simplifies the login process
- Different Roles - mentors, candidates
- Audio / Video calls via Zoom API
- Calls booking (by date and time)
Social network features:
- Befriending with mentors (adding to favorite)
- Ask mentors questions and comment on them: a chat-like feature, but not in a real-time mode
As the outcome, we have two versions of the app that is ready to get promoted and win the market!